24 May 2007

korvasieni

I'm writing this while waiting for my poisonous mushrooms to cook.

Today at Stockmann I found some cartons of fresh korvasieniä. The name means "ear mushrooms"; in English and French these are known as the "false morels." The mushrooms look a bit like oversize morels but are irregularly-shaped, aren't pointed, and don't have hollow stems. I love morels, but these smell even more delicious!I decided to get some, sauté them in butter, and put them on pasta.

Next to the mushrooms were brochures describing the mushrooms. I picked one up even though I need a dictionary and lots of time to read Finnish, and I don't understand Swedish at all. (Like most things in Helsinki, the brochures are printed in both languages, as 6% of Finns speak Swedish as their first language.) However, the brochures looked informative enough to convince me to look online for information in English. It's a good thing I did! It turns out that korvasieniä are poisonous unless they are boiled! They contain a compound called gyromitrin which can cause liver failure and death... Fortunately gyromitrin is water-soluble, so by blanching the cut-up mushroom in water twice, 99% of the gyromitrin can be removed.

My new plan is to blanch the mushrooms - three times, just to be safe - and then sauté them! I've got the windows of my apartment as wide open as they can go, and I'm drinking lots of water.

2 comments:

Eric Henyey said...

1. They were delicious.

2. I've survived for over 12 hours with no ill effects, so I guess I prepared them properly!

A+ said...

Eric, those mushrooms do look tasty! What is that huge knife doing along side the plate? Where is this photo taken? Are you in your apartment, or is this a restaurant? I hope you come back and prepare a Finnish dinner for all of us. What type of beverage would be served, do they have wine? or is there something more traditional?