29 April 2007

kuusi ravintolaa

Six Helsinki restaurants that I particularly want to try:

Nokka is on Katajanokka just under the cathedral. As much as possible the ingredients are carefully selected from Finnish producers.

Ilmatar is in the Kamp hotel on Bulevardi. It too emphasizes ingredients from small-scale Finnish producers. I remember reading that the restaurant is decorated in a Kalevala theme (Ilmatar is the goddess of wind).

Sundmans Krog. "Krog" is Swedish for bistro. This is underneath the Sundmans restaurant itself (which has a Michelin star), on Eleläranta just south of Katajanokka.

Safka, just around the corner from me in Kruununhaka. The emphasis is definitely on the food rather than the décor! It looks serious but not pretentious. My friend Katherine told me that she has eaten here twice and enjoyed it very much.

Chez Dominique doesn't seem particularly Finnish but it is universally regarded as Finland's best restaurant. It is one of only three restaurants in Scandinavia to have two Michelin stars. A la carte it looks quite expensive. However, there is an affordable lunch menu which includes sweetbreads (a favorite of mine).

Sea Horse is south of downtown, on Kapteeninkatu.

1 comment:

Eric Henyey said...

Katherine and Liesl told me about Kuurna, which is also in Kruununhaka (my neighborhood), so my list is now up to seven.